This morning I woke up feeling so happy, as today is my favorite holiday. And as we begin to sit down to our Thanksgiving tables and talk about what we are thankful for, I decided to share what I am thankful for with all of you…
1. Patience. I am so thankful for the patience that my parents have exhibited over the last year, as I was an unpaid intern and couldn’t find a job. I was a miserable, lost person, and they never wavered in their patience and belief in me.
2. Faith. I am thankful for my family and friends having so much faith in me over the past year. There were many, many days when I openly stated how much of a failure I was, and every single person I shared this with immediately said no, you will find a job. Thank you.
3. Perseverance. It’s probably quite obvious that a job is a big theme in my list thus far, and it’s true. I am so thankful for persevering through some very low days before I was able to get a job.
4. Reality Check. Okay, that’s not an adjective, but I am thankful for the fact that I didn’t have a job. I know, that is really weird. But, up until my college graduation, life had been pretty peachy keen for me. And while I spent many a day asking myself why I couldn’t find a job since I had “done all the right things,” these days I’m starting to see that period of time as a way of somebody reminding me to be thankful for something that we can easily take for granted.
5. Adventure. While my version of adventure has changed a bit, seeing as I would like to be in India but instead I go to networking events, I’m thankful for the adventures that my friends and I do go on. These adventures put us out of our comfort zones and enable us to expand our minds, ourselves, and our lives.
6. Stability. As much as I am thankful for new adventures, I am equally thankful for increasing stability in my life. I’m not talking about financial stability; I’m talking about stability in friendships, both new and old.
7. Wisdom. This is a big one, and I don’t even know if wisdom is the right word to use for what I’m describing. I’m thankful for the fact that I’m no longer bothered by things that bothered me a year ago. I’m comfortable sharing my thoughts in awkward situations. I’ve embraced that not all friendships last forever, and a lot are meant to end.
8. Stupidity. On the flip side of wisdom, I’m thankful that I am still young, stupid, and full of mistakes and a past that isn’t perfect. Stupidity is teaching me a lot about what I want, what I don’t, and how to go forward.
9. The present. I’m so thankful for each and everyday, especially the bad days. Those are the days when we really can say that we are thankful for the good days. I think we all have more bad days than we care to admit, and I try to remind myself of the silver linings.
10. Closure. This is an ongoing, dark process but I am thankful for the possibility to find closure.
Thank you for reading. Don’t worry, I’ll be back to my witty, shallow, fashion obsessed self in the next post.